Monday, April 14, 2014

Beating the Blerch



As I mentioned in my First Post, I've signed up to go to Seattle and run the Beat the Blerch 10k in September with one of my girlfriends.  To say that I'm an aspiring runner would imply that I enjoy running or look forward to it, but notsomuch.  Mostly I just aspire to want to run.  The Oatmeal (aka Matthew Inman) wrote a comic blog post, and later a book about running, wherein he describes the Blerch as


"a fat little cherub who follows me when I run.  He is a wretched, lazy beast.  He tells me to slow down, to walk, to quit. "Blerch" is the sound food makes when its squeezed from a tube."Blerch" is the shape of my tummy after a huge meal.  If I am sedentary at a time when I have zero excuse for being sedentary, I call this "Blerching."  The Blerch represents all forms of gluttony, apathy, and indifference that plague my life. "
So I can get behind a run that is all about beating that feeling.  I actually ran tonight for the first time in forever - probably about a year.  And by run, I mean I put the treadmill at a 0 incline and dance/wobbled to a very slow 2.7/3.7 at first and then 3/4 mph interval pace.  But I did it, and I burned about 400 calories in the process.  If I can just do that 3 days a week for the next 3 weeks, I'll be able to finish a 5k in under an hour.  Woot.  Yeah, so I signed up for the Corporate Challenge 5k about 5 weeks ago, thinking that it'd be perfect - I'd have trained my 8 weeks and I'd be ready to RUN THE WHOLE THING.  Except: the Blerch and my allergies and some travel and some other Blerchy excuses. I'm going to pay for that apathy come May 3, but at least I finally started.  By Father's Day, I ought to be ready to run a real one.  Then I'm going to try to run one a month until the 10k and see if I can actually get to a point where I'm really running - not that "wog" thing I do. (walk-jog).  That's the plan anyway.  As long as I do something every day to beat the Blerch, it'll be successful though.

No comments:

Post a Comment